Thursday 23 July 2009

LIVING FREE OF CLUTTER


DO YOU REALLY NEED IT?

A news report says that 47% of Americans admit to owning far more possessions than they need, and a new clutter-free philosophy challenges people to get rid of anything superfluous to their lifestyle.

Learning of this `feel good fad` limited to 100 items, I decided to
pare it down to only 12 of the most dearly loved objects I would keep, if moving home.

This is my list, and I wonder about your own?

A turtle skull picked up on a beach in Oman
Chinese carved coffee table
Watercolour of a boat by a Scottish loch
Burmese statue of the Buddha
Two old cane chairs
Lithograph of Dad`s boat `Sea Mist`
Indian drum table
Metal bird from Zimbabwe
Old kitchen wall clock
Handwoven carpet from Iraq
Painting of an Australian rural scene
My personal library of books (counted as a single possession)

c.Christine Osborne
Image: London living room
Source: www.copix.co.uk

3 comments:

  1. I really don't know what I would take. I think I'd be too worried in case any people were in the house! If I knew they weren't though I might take some family photographs, perhaps the computer (if I could carry it) and probably my old travel notebooks and my diaries (if I could carry them).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure your extensive library of books counts as one object! If you could take only one book - what would it be?
    As for me with a house full of clutter, finding just 12 is a tall order. One would have to be my great grandfather's chocolate box complete with chocolate bar, issued to him at Christmas during the Boer War. Another a cuddly green hippo that has sat on my dressing table since university, my set of Lord of the Rings to read, and an early-ish edition of 'On the Origin of Species'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, too many books to single out just one- but..
    A Child`s Garden of verses by Robert Louis Stevenson, given to me by my favourite aunt, when I was six.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive